Wednesday, January 6, 2010
10 FOR 10
The holidays are over and the year 2009 is done. We’re filled with piss and vinegar, and can’t wait to get all over this new decade. 10 things to look forward to in 2010:
1. This April Chicago hosts the Craft Brewers Conference and World Beer Cup. Practically every craft brewer on the globe will descend on our city. This should prove to be a milestone for our city, and a great opportunity to take part in a huge array of events all over Chicago.
2. Winter. We weren’t going to say anything, but one of us here at Half Acre knows somebody who knows somebody and we had our entire climate structure altered. Yup, you heard it right. This winter will be absolutely soul crushing, but for next year and the following 100 we have it in writing that the temperature won’t dip below 40 degrees. An extended Fall, if you will. I’m sure you’ll find a way to thank us.
3. Special Release beers. We’ve been aggressive about brewing new and different beers in an effort to push ourselves as much as possible. You can expect to see a bunch of funky brews.
4. Traffic. Don’t know about you, but we noticed some problem areas where it’s been tough to get from one part of the city to the other. A real drag, we know. So, we petitioned the city and they will slowly start to revoke half the drivers licenses in Chicago over the course of the next year. You’re probably thinking “Son of a…… I need my license,” but don’t worry, they won’t take your license – just your friends.
5. Collaboration beers. We’re gearing up to brew with friends in the coming months. More to follow on all that, but you can expect to see us throwing down with others.
6. Ponies. Nothing says living is good like a Shetland Pony. We looked into the idea, and in a stroke in civic altruism we ordered multiple truckloads of Shetlands to be released into the wild of Chicago. So, if you see one trying to nose his way into your garbage, just smile and take in the beauty of mother nature’s genetically altered friend.
7. We’ve hired a dedicated brand champion to be out on the streets preaching the gospel of Half Acre. This will allow us to get our beer into more bars, take part in, and create more events that we all can enjoy.
8. Chunky thighs. Don’t know about you, but we’re not as young as we used to be and the beers just seem to slide down in an ever-easier fashion. Maybe you’ve looked to exercise to keep the girth down, but come late 2010 we’ll be launching a new non-profit in the back of the brewery called, “Cheese Chug”. Cheese Chug is revolutionary process developed by a brewer that actually removes all of your excess body fat in about an hour. Amazing.
9. It’s bad form to count your chickens before they hatch, but we’re doing our best to get a full-scale canning line into the brewery in short order. It’s shaping up to be a reality, but don’t get pissed if it takes a while. We’re working on it.
10. Fun. 2010 is going to be a good time. There’s a lot of interesting things going on in our city. Here’s to getting out there and seeing what's going on.
Half Acre Beer Co